Fast-casual Mediterranean chain Cava is looking to make its way to the Johnson County area by opening its first Overland Park location.
Where exactly? Set to open at 6405 W. 135th St., Cava is taking over a section in the Corbin Park shopping center that was formerly Zoe’s Kitchen.
- A north Overland Park location at 11895 W. 95th St., near the Oak Park Mall, is also in the works.
What’s on the menu? Specializing in Mediterranean-style food, Cava’s menu focuses on the build-your-own bowl concept, which the company says allows its customers to “customize the meal to their tastes.”
- First, the restaurant has customers choose a base of either salad, grain bowl, pita or rice, followed by a spread, like roasted eggplant, hummus or harissa.
- Patrons then select a protein, such as falafel, spicy lamb meatballs or harissa honey chicken, before adding toppings and a dressing.
- Cava also sells several of its dips and spreads in Whole Foods Market.
Background : The opening of Cava comes after Zoe’s Kitchen was acquired by the privately-held CAVA Group Inc. in 2018 when the two became a combined company, according to a 2018 CAVA press release.
- With the company’s $300 million acquisition of Zoe’s, the chain grew from 66 to 326 locations across the country.
- In 2006, first-generation Greek Americans Ted Xenohristos, Ike Grigoropoulos and Dimitri Moshovitis launched the first Cava in Rockville, Maryland.