At its meeting Tuesday night, the Leawood Planning Commission unanimously approved final plans for Kansas City’s Rockhill Grille to open its second metro location at Town Center Crossing shopping center near 119th and Roe.
Where exactly: The restaurant will move into a space on the far east side of the shopping center that was previously occupied by Spanish restaurant La Bodega.
- According to city documents, the restaurant will have 175 seats, including a patio.
- As part of the revised final plan approved on Tuesday, Rockhill Grille’s owners will also add a walk-in cooler to the space.
Bigger picture: This will be the first expansion into Johnson County for the Rockhill Grille, which currently has just one location in downtown Kansas City, Mo., near 20th Street and Grand Boulevard.
- The Rockhill Grille is also one of the three recent restaurant additions to Town Center Crossing that prompted initial city discussions about whether the shopping center needed more parking.
- Both the Leawood Planning Commission and City Council ultimately agreed with Washington Prime Group, the shopping center’s owner, that the center could accommodate parking as is.
Remaining concerns: Although the commission ultimately approved the restaurant’s final plan, Commissioner David Coleman on Tuesday reiterated the concerns brought up earlier this summer about what the new restaurant could mean for parking at the center.
- “Once this restaurant opens, whenever that’s going to be, it’s going to have a big impact to that shopping center with parking,” Coleman said. “Is (the overflow parking) going to go across the street to Cameron’s Court or is it going to go to Hawthorne Plaza? And then once the other places open up, I think it’s just going to get worse.”
What’s on Rockhill Grill’s menu
Rockhill Grille’s menu focuses on American steakhouse items like prime rib, filet mignon, pork chops and roasted chicken.
- Seafood options on the menu include crab cakes, scallops and rainbow trout.
- The restaurant also offers a brunch menu with items like avocado toast and Eggs Benedict.