A Goodwill donation drop-off center along State Line Road in Leawood is planning to expand its operations into a new retail store at that location, with plans to open in October.
Where exactly: The retail store will open as a new component to the existing donation center at 12900 State Line Road — down the street from the recently opened Idea Space KC learning center.
- The store’s hours will be 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day.
- The space that the store will occupy previously served as an open storage space for the donation center, and it is currently undergoing renovations.
What’s going in: The store will operate as a “specialty retail” boutique, which includes donated high-end men’s and women’s clothing items, in addition to home decor items.
- Some of the featured brands at other existing Goodwill specialty boutiques include Banana Republic, Calvin Klein and Vera Wang.
- The boutique will also feature a photo booth that customers can use while they shop.
- Customers can also continue to drop off donations at the center, in addition to shopping at the boutique.
- The new boutique will officially open on the first weekend of October, with a ribbon-cutting scheduled for Sept. 28.
Zooming out on Leawood Goodwill
This makes the third Goodwill retail store in Johnson County and the second in the Blue Valley area.
- The other two Johnson County Goodwill stores that sell items to the public are in Shawnee and Overland Park.
- Goodwill also has thrift stores on the Missouri side of Kansas City and in Lee’s Summit, MO.
- According to its website, Goodwill is a national nonprofit with several locations serving the greater Kansas City area that focuses on things like job training and employment-placement services for people who generally face barriers to employment.