Former Blue Valley Northwest basketball standout Mike Peake was shot in an altercation on the campus of the University of New Mexico over the weekend that left another student dead.
Catch up quick: According to New Mexico State Police, four University of New Mexico students allegedly conspired to lure Peake to a spot on the Albuquerque campus where an altercation occurred and Peake allegedly shot and killed one of his attackers.
- According to police, 19-year-old UNM student Brandon Travis confronted and shot Peake at a UNM residence hall.
- Peake, who was also armed, shot back and killed Travis.
- The three other assailants, a 17-year-old female and two of Travis’ friends, fled after the shooting.
📣 New to the Post?
We’re the only local news outlet with eyes everyday on Johnson County. Subscribe and you’ll get stories like this one and much more in your inbox each day.
You can try a month of full access to both our sites for just $1 here.
Backstory: According to an arrest warrant affidavit filed Monday in the state District Court in Albuquerque, the UNM students lured and attacked Peake, a 21-year-old junior who plays basketball for UNM’s rival school the University of New Mexico State, as retribution for Peake’s alleged role in a fight during an UNM-NMSU football game earlier this fall.
- A video of the altercation has been circulating on social media since Saturday’s shooting, with the roughly 55 second clip showing a group of people throwing punches.
Brandon Travis conspired with a 17-year old girl to lure Mike Peake to the UNM campus to jump him for retribution from a fight at the NMSU/UNM football game last month according to police documents. It appears Peake is in the middle of this fight https://t.co/xtMvsbA4QE
— Jason Groves (@JPGroves) November 21, 2022
What we know: Following the shooting, Peake was transported to a local hospital and listed in stable condition, while two of the students involved in the incident have since been arrested.
- The unnamed 17-year-old girl was arrested and charged Sunday with aggravated battery and conspiracy.
- Police also arrested 19-year-old Jonathon Smith on Monday in connection to the shooting, charging him with aggravated battery, conspiracy to commit a felony and two counts of tampering with evidence.
- Peake has not been charged in the incident and was referred to as the victim in the New Mexico Police new release.
Peake’s brief time at Blue Valley Northwest
Peake attended Blue Valley Northwest High School during his senior year in 2019, earning Kansas All-State honors and helping the Huskies take home the Kansas Class 6A state title for the third year in a row.
- During his one season as a Husky, Peake averaged 13.2 points and 8.5 rebounds for the team.
- Prior to attending BV Northwest, Peake spent two seasons playing for Northeast High School in Kansas City, Mo.
- During his collegiate career thus far, the Chicago native has played for the University of Georgia and Austin Peay before transferring to NSMU before the 2021-22 season.