Blue Valley West’s cross country and track and field programs have a new head coach: Shawnee Mission’s longtime coach Aaron Davidson.
Davidson, who has spent his entire 15-year teaching and coaching career at Shawnee Mission North, will take up the position, as well as physical education position, at BV West starting the beginning of next school year.
Davidson has had several career milestones
- During his time at SM North, he helped bring home the girls’ cross country team’s first-ever state championship in 2017.
- He also earned Kansas Cross Country and Track and Field Association’s Cross Country Coach of the Year in 2016 and 2018.
- “SMN has given me endless support in every aspect of teaching and coaching,” Davidson said in a press release SM North issued earlier this month.
- Prior to his time in the Shawnee Mission School District, Davidson competed in cross country and track for Fort Hays State University.
He also runs a youth running club
- The Herd Running Club is a Lenexa-based youth running club meant to “empower kids and build character through running,” according to its website.
- The running club offers several programs for kids in kindergarten through 6th grade, including 5K training groups for older children.
- Davidson, who still trains and races competitively in races across the country, runs the club with his wife, Ashlee Davidson.
Blue Valley Schools will add another new coach next year
- Blue Valley North also named Mill Valley High’s defensive coordinator Drew Hudgins as its newest head football coach earlier this year.
- Hudgins, who helped lead the Mill Valley program to six state football titles since 2015, will follow in the footsteps of former coach Adam Pummill, who announced his resignation earlier this school year.