Tabu Knits Boutique, a locally owned shop specializing in women’s clothing, is eyeing a new Leawood space.
The boutique plans to open at the Town Center Plaza shopping complex later this year.
It will mark the second storefront for the shop, which has operated at Overland Park’s Oak Park Mall since 2018.
Tabu Knits Boutique’s location:
- The store will move into a space on the south side of the shopping center at 119th and Roe.
- Women’s boutique The Babe Standard previously occupied that space.
- Tabu Knits will neighbor fellow clothing stores Athleta and Janie and Jack.
Tabu Knits started as a hobby
- Owner Maryann Nzioki-Holt said she had been knitting since she was young, but she picked back up the hobby more steadily in her 20s.
- What started as making scarves and hats for friends turned into her opening a store of her own at the mall.
- Today, the shop has grown to selling women’s clothing items like shirts, dresses and blazers in addition to knit items.
- “I’ve always loved fashion,” she said. “And ever since I was little, I always was very entrepreneur-minded. It was always ingrained in me.”
The store is aiming to open in June
- Once it opens, Tabu Knits at Town Center Plaza will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily, Nzioki-Holt said.
- Outside of Oak Park Mall, Nzioki-Holt has also sold her products at other stores across Johnson County — including Overland Park’s Threshing Bee.
- “I’m excited to bring my brand and the colors and the styles (to Leawood),” Nzioki-Holt said. “And to really just build those authentic relationships with the customers.”
Want more Town Center news? Nike opening Town Center Crossing store in Leawood
Our comment section is reserved for subscribers. Try a subscription today for just $1
$1 for your first month, then just $8.50 per month thereafter. Cancel anytime.Try for $1
$1 for your first month, then just $85 per year thereafter. Cancel anytime.Try for $1