Here we are again, Blue Valley!
☔️ Today’s forecast: Showers likely, then a chance of thunderstorms. High: 69. Low: 49.
🚨 One thing to know today
Spring is here, and that means Johnson County homeowners can once again get partly reimbursed for doing DIY stormwater management projects.
For the 13th year in a row, Johnson County’s Contain the Rain program this spring will reimburse residents up to 50% for the cost of doing things like installing rain barrels and constructing rain gardens to capture runoff.
It’s an effort to incentivize environmentally friendly lawn practices. Rain gardens, for instance, have been shown to filter out pollutants and provide food and shelter for wildlife.
Residents in nearly all Johnson County cities — including Leawood, Lenexa, Overland Park, Prairie Village and Shawnee — as well as unincorporated parts of the county, are eligible to apply for reimbursements.
Check to see how to apply for funding in your city here.
🚧 Latest U.S. 69 short-term closures
During the U.S. 69 toll lane project and interchange improvement work, the Post will provide updates on the latest lane and ramp closures from West 103rd to West 151st streets. Here’s the latest:
- NB U.S. 69, 159th St. to Blue Valley Pkwy., March 24 – April 21. Single left lane closure for widening work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- NB and SB U.S. 69, 103rd St. to 151st St., March 24 – April 21. Intermittent shoulder closures for daily and nightly work.
- SB U.S. 69 at Indian Creek, April 3 – June 30. Single right lane closure on bridge over Indian Creek for project access to bridge from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- EB and WB 135th St. at U.S. 69, April 3 – 24. All 135th St. lanes closed at U.S. 69 for bridge widening work from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. U.S. 69/135th St. entrance and exit ramps will remain open to traffic.
- NB U.S. 69, 139th St. to Antioch Rd., April 5 – 12. Single right lane closed for site prep work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- EB 135th St., Antioch Rd. to U.S. 69, April 6 – 10. Single right lane closed for utility location work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- NB U.S. 69 at 151st St., April 6 – July 6. Single right lane closure on NB U.S. 69 and intermittent lane closures on NB U.S. 69/151st St. ramps for bridge work.
- 143rd St., Hemlock Rd. to Newton Rd., April 10 – 11. Single left lane closed for geotechnical work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- SB Blue Valley Pkwy./SB U.S. 69, April 10 – 11. Left shoulder closure on SB Blue Valley Pkwy. to SB U.S. 69 entrance ramp for pavement striping work and barrier wall placement from 8 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- SB U.S. 69, Antioch Rd. to 135th St., April 11 – 14. Single right lane closed for site prep work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
🗓 Public meetings Monday
- Blue Valley Board of Education Workshop Meeting, 8 a.m. [View agenda]
- Overland Park Planning Commission, 1:30 p.m. [View agenda]
- Blue Valley Board of Education, 5:30 p.m. [View agenda]
- Johnson County Park & Recreation District Committee of the Whole, 6 p.m. [View agenda]
- Overland Park Public Safety committee, 7 p.m. [View agenda]
🚀 Post’s top stories since Friday
- Here’s when you’ll be able to drink in public at Prairiefire
- 😃 5 to Try: Post readers pick the best kid-friendly eateries in JoCo
- Abelardo’s opens in another Mexican restaurant’s former Overland Park space
- Aspiria’s newest tenant is a Lenexa private air travel company
- Here’s the plan for the old Leawood Winstead’s on 135th
📰 Other local news
- A Johnson County judge ordered Kansas Democratic Party chair Jeanna Repass of Overland Park to pay more than $3,200 to her former campaign manager, who sued her earlier this year alleging unpaid wages. [Kansas City Star]
- Pit bulls are still banned in towns around Kansas City, including in Leawood. These dog lovers are fighting for a repeal. [KCUR]
- Find out more about the Eat Local & Organic Expo at Johnson County Community College earlier this month. [Kansas City Star]
🐦 Notable tweets
JCPRD is opening spring and summer programming.
It is getting warmer and, that means it is time to start planning some spring and summer fun! JCPRD has a new season of programs to help get you active and outdoors! Check out highlights of special events and activities from May through August: https://t.co/KhAnK57TT3 pic.twitter.com/Y5b3TkR84n
— JCPRD (@JCPRDparks) April 6, 2023
Overland Park Police is celebrating its dispatchers for National Telecommunicators Week.
This week we recognize our Dispatchers. Thank you for all that you do for the citizens of Overland Park. pic.twitter.com/IQCau5rUUc
— Overland Park Police (@OverlandPark_PD) April 9, 2023
Lastly, volunteer for Johnson County’s Sunset Community Garden.
Access to fresh, quality and nutritious food is the foundation to living a healthy life. The Sunset Community Garden is one way JoCo is working to educate, empower and feed residents in the Kansas WIC program. Sign up to volunteer: https://t.co/ord0vuzYCO #NPHW pic.twitter.com/aOKtvxvwxt
— JCDHE (@JOCOHealth) April 9, 2023