Happy Tuesday, Shawnee Mission!
☀️ Today’s forecast: Sunny, then mostly clear in the evening. High: 81. Low: 58.
🚨 One thing to know today
Two local students in Johnson County were among the winners at the annual Blue Star Awards earlier this month.
The annual contest put on by Starlight in Kansas City, Mo., is modeled after the Tony Awards on Broadway and aims to honor metro area high school students’ outstanding theater performances.
In the Post’s coverage area, two students received awards or scholarships:
- Peter Dessert of Bishop Miege High School, won Outstanding Actor in a Supporting Role for playing Will Parker in a production of “Oklahoma!”
- Grace Puchalla, a junior at St. James Academy, took home the Rising Star Scholarship
More than 54 schools and more than 4,000 local students around the Kansas City area participated in the 2022-23 Blue Star Awards.
Overall, awards were handed out in 26 categories and more than $6,500 in scholarship money was given out.
See a full list of winners here.
🚧 Latest U.S. 69 short-term closures
During the U.S. 69 toll lane project and interchange improvement work, the Post will provide updates on the latest lane and ramp closures from West 103rd to West 151st streets. Here’s the latest:
- SB U.S. 69 at Indian Creek, April 3 – June 30. Single right lane closure on bridge over Indian Creek for project access to bridge from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- NB U.S. 69 at 151st St., April 6 – June 12. Single alternating lane closures on NB U.S. 69 and intermittent lane closures on NB U.S. 69/151st St. ramps for bridge work.
- EB and WB 143rd St. at U.S. 69, May 1 – June 2. All 143rd St. lanes closed at U.S. 69 for bridge widening work. Detour will be marked; 151st St. along either Metcalf Ave. or Antioch Rd.
- NB and SB U.S. 69, 151st St. to Blue Valley Pkwy., May 22 – June 3. Alternating lane closures for road widening work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily and 5 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly.
- SB U.S. 69 at 103rd St., May 23 – 24. Single left lane closed on main lanes and single right lane closed on 103rd St. to SB U.S. 69 entrance ramp for core drilling work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- *Note: All temporary paving work along NB & SB U.S. 69 from 151st to College Blvd. will continue through May 22.
🗓 Public meetings Tuesday
- Johnson County Planning Commission, 5:45 p.m. [View agenda]
- Leawood Planning Commission, 6 p.m. [View agenda]
🚀 Post’s top Monday stories
- Rakar Dumpling House now open in former Leawood Winstead’s
- ‘Big Sonia’ Warshawski, Holocaust survivor and business icon, closes OP tailoring shop
- 🍔 5 to Try: What are the best burgers in Johnson County?
- JoCo Notes: 2 Johnson County Community College board members won’t run again
- 🔎 5 to Try: Post readers pick JoCo’s best restaurant hidden gems
📸 A thousand words
Field Day must have been a real blast at Sunrise Point Elementary last week. This photo and many more via Facebook.