Happy Thursday, Blue Valley!
🌩 Today’s forecast: A 50% chance of thunderstorms, then a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening. High: 85. Low: 64.
🚨 One thing to know today
Three Johnson County schools won girls’ soccer titles last weekend, making it a clean sweep of Kansas classes for local schools.
In Class 6A, Mill Valley won the program’s first-ever state title, defeating Shawnee Mission East 3-0 in the title match in Lawrence, avenging a regular season loss.
The Jaguars’ senior-heavy squad took second place in Class 5A last season and steamrolled to an overall record of 18-2-1 this season. It also marks a soccer sweep for the Jags, after the boys team won the state title in the fall.
In Class 5A this year, St. Thomas Aquinas added a trophy to the already-decorated legacy of that program, beating Bishop Carroll 2-0 in the championship match in Topeka.
It’s Aquinas’ third straight girls’ soccer title and 18th overall. St. James Academy in Lenexa finished third in Class 5A.
And in Class 4A, Bishop Miege won their seventh straight Class 4-1A title, downing Wichita Trinity 4-0 in De Soto. According to KSHSAA Covered, that’s a record for consecutive titles in Kansas girls soccer history.
🚧 Latest U.S. 69 short-term closures
During the U.S. 69 toll lane project and interchange improvement work, the Post will provide updates on the latest lane and ramp closures from West 103rd to West 151st streets. Here’s the latest:
- SB U.S. 69 at Indian Creek, April 3 – June 30. Single right lane closure on bridge over Indian Creek for project access to bridge from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- NB U.S. 69 at 151st St., April 6 – June 12. Single alternating lane closures on NB U.S. 69 and intermittent lane closures on NB U.S. 69/151st St. ramps for bridge work.
- EB and WB 143rd St. at U.S. 69, May 1 – June 2. All 143rd St. lanes closed at U.S. 69 for bridge widening work. Detour will be marked; 151st St. along either Metcalf Ave. or Antioch Rd.
- NB and SB U.S. 69, 151st St. to Blue Valley Pkwy., May 22 – June 3. Alternating lane closures for road widening work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily and 5 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly.
- EB and WB 151st St. at U.S. 69, May 30 – June 2. Alternating lane closures for bridge work from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- WB 135th St. at U.S. 69, May 31 – June 2. Single right lane closed for pavement work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
🗓 Public meetings Thursday
- Board of County Commissioners, 9:30 a.m. [View agenda]
🚀 Post’s top Wednesday stories
- McLain’s Market coming soon to southern Overland Park
- New townhomes coming to Leawood’s 135th Street corridor
- French shop Bumblebee Macarons opens at Park Place in Leawood
- 60-year-old Overland Park Italian eatery Steve’s Villa Capri shutters
- JoCo Notes: BV West captures 2nd straight state baseball title
📰 Other local news
- A former worker at an Olathe daycare faces two felony counts of endangering the welfare of a child. [KCTV]
- Website WalletHub recently rated Overland Park as the second best place in the U.S. in which to raise a family. [Kansas City Star]
📸 A thousand words
Congratulations to the Blue Valley North Mustangs baseball team for winning second in state. Not bad at all! Photo via Twitter.