Have a great weekend, Blue Valley!
🌩 Today’s forecast: A 50% chance of thunderstorms, then a 30% chance of thunderstorms in the evening. High: 87. Low: 66.
🚨 One thing to know today
Giving Hope & Help, a local nonprofit supporting domestic violence survivors, is celebrating its 10th anniversary with a special gala.
Registration is now open for the black-tie affair, which takes place Saturday, June 24, at The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center, 1 E. Pershing Road, Kansas City, Mo.
The gala opens with a silent auction and meet-and-greet with scholars at 5:30 p.m. The scholars are recipients of the Education Is Your Passport Scholarship Awards
Dinner and a program, as well as a live auction and entertainment begin at 7 p.m. Entertainers include DJ Ice Kole, Kansas City Boys & Girls Choir, and AileyCamp the Group. The evening closes with dancing at 9 p.m., as well as networking opportunities.
Single tickets are $100, while bundles of 10 tickets are $1,000.
🚧 Latest U.S. 69 short-term closures
During the U.S. 69 toll lane project and interchange improvement work, the Post will provide updates on the latest lane and ramp closures from West 103rd to West 151st streets. Here’s the latest:
- SB U.S. 69 at Indian Creek, April 3 – June 30. Single right lane closure on bridge over Indian Creek for project access to bridge from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- NB U.S. 69 at 151st St., April 6 – June 12. Single alternating lane closures on NB U.S. 69 and intermittent lane closures on NB U.S. 69/151st St. ramps for bridge work.
- EB and WB 143rd St. at U.S. 69, May 1 – June 2. All 143rd St. lanes closed at U.S. 69 for bridge widening work. Detour will be marked; 151st St. along either Metcalf Ave. or Antioch Rd.
- NB and SB U.S. 69, 151st St. to Blue Valley Pkwy., May 22 – June 3. Alternating lane closures for road widening work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily and 5 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly.
- EB and WB 151st St. at U.S. 69, May 30 – June 2. Alternating lane closures for bridge work from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- WB 135th St. at U.S. 69, May 31 – June 2. Single right lane closed for pavement work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
🗓 Weekend things to do
- Old Shawnee Days, Friday through Sunday at Shawnee Town 1929. [More info]
- Enchanted Faire, Friday and Saturday at the Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. [More info]
- Summer Splash, Friday at Thomas A. Soetaert and Splash Cove aquatic centers in Shawnee. [More info]
- Global Neighbors & Flavors Fest, Saturday at the Lenexa Public Market. [More info]
- “Freaky Friday” outdoor season opener at Theatre in the Park. [More info]
🚀 Post’s top Thursday stories
- McLain’s Market coming soon to southern Overland Park
- 3 Overland Park hospitals get ‘A’ for safety in new ratings
- New townhomes coming to Leawood’s 135th Street corridor
- O & G Girl ‘tween’ boutique opens in Leawood
- JoCo Notes: Johnson County schools dominate girls’ soccer at state
📰 Other local news
- Newly compiled U.S. Census data show Johnson County was the second fastest-growing county in Kansas over the last decade, it’s population jumping by more than 12% since 2010. [Fox 4]
- Surveillance camera footage caught two masked men robbing an ATM at a Bank of America branch on College Boulevard in Overland Park. [KSHB]
📸 A thousand words
Overland Park Police officers recently volunteered for the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics. Photo via Twitter.