Happy Thursday, Blue Valley!
🌤 Today’s forecast: Mostly sunny with a slight chance for thunderstorms in the morning. High: 84. Low: 62.
🚨 One thing you need to know
Former Blue Valley Northwest and KU basketball star Christian Braun took his game to a new level Wednesday night.
Braun scored 15 points for the Denver Nuggets in a 109-94 victory over the Miami Heat in Game 3 of the NBA Finals. It was a key supporting performance that helped give the Nuggets a 2-1 series lead on the road.
The one-time high school Mr. Kansas Basketball averaged nearly 5 points per game as a rookie this season but caught fire off the bench on Wednesday, hitting seven of eight shots and showcasing his skills at several key moments, including this steal and fast break dunk.
CHRISTIAN BRAUN SLAM ⚒
— NBA (@NBA) June 8, 2023
Two wins away from an NBA championship with Denver, Braun is trying to pull off a unique feat.
If the Nuggets take home the trophy, Braun would be just the fifth player ever to win a college championship — which he did with KU in 2022 — and an NBA title in back-to-back seasons.
Braun also helped lead BV Northwest to three state titles during his high school career.
🗓 Public meetings Thursday
- Board of County Commissioners, 9:30 a.m. [View agenda]
- Johnson County Library Board, 4 p.m. [More info]
🚀 Post’s top Wednesday stories
- 🥳 Best of Johnson County 2023: And the finalists are…
- Overland Park teacher’s ‘Ted Lasso’ merch keeps selling big as popular series ends
- McLain’s Market coming soon to southern Overland Park
- AMF College Lanes in Overland Park is now remodeled Bowlero
- Rating agency puts Aspiria project loan on ‘downgrade’ watch
📰 Other local news
- Olathe will get $18 million in federal funds to build a four-lane overpass over the railroad crossing at Woodland Street and Northgate Road. [Kansas City Star]
- Overland Park residents have until Thursday, June 22, to cast ballots in a special mail-in election in which the city is seeking to have a special sales tax for infrastructure needs increased to ⅜-cent. [City of Overland Park]
- After “crushing” every company record with its new restaurant in Prairie Village, Wichita-based chain Meddys plans to continue its expansion into Kansas City, Mo. [Kansas City Business Journal]
📸 A thousand words
Flowers in bloom at Park Place in Leawood. Photo credit Lucie Krisman.