Several students across the Blue Valley School District began the summer with a number of accolades.
This year, multiple Blue Valley teams and individuals earned state championship titles. This entailed not only athletic teams, but also academic clubs.
Here’s who took home the gold in state championships this year.
Blue Valley West took home a tennis title
- Blue Valley West’s boys’ tennis team took home the 6A state title.
- CJ Smith of Blue Valley North High School earned the 6A singles champion title.
- Akki Poojari and David Han of Blue Valley West were the state doubles champions.
The district earned multiple cheer and dance titles
- Blue Valley High’s cheerleading team took home the state title in Class 6A.
- Blue Valley Southwest’s dance team earned the title in the Class 5A dance competition.
- For the past six years, at least one Blue Valley high school team has left the Game Day Spirit Showcase competition with a state title.
The district earned multiple track titles
- Three individual students and two groups earned state titles at this year’s state track individual and relay championship.
- Isabella Ross of Blue Valley Southwest, Alonzo Morgan of Blue Valley North and Emma Baum of Blue Valley West earned individual race titles.
- Two groups of four students earned relay titles: both a boys’ group and a girls’ group from Blue Valley North.
Blue Valley Southwest took home a cross country title
- This year, the Blue Valley Southwest boys’ cross country team won the state Class 5A championship.
- This victory marked the cross country team’s first state title.
- The Timberwolves were also the first public school team to win the 5A boys’ title in the past 15 years, ending St. Thomas Aquinas’ eight-year winning streak.
The district earned multiple swim and dive titles
- Blue Valley Southwest’s girls’ swim team was crowned the 5A state champions.
- Blue Valley North’s boys’ swim team also earned the 6A state champion title for the first time since 2014.
- Swim team members across the district racked up a number of individual titles too — including Annika Finzen of Blue Valley West, who achieved two state record race times, and Clair Garrelts of Blue Valley Northwest, who won her second dive state title.
Blue Valley West took home a baseball title
- Blue Valley West’s baseball team took this spring’s state championship title.
- The team beat Blue Valley North 3-2 in the Class 6A category.
- This marked their second state title in a row, after last year’s walk-off victory.
The district earned multiple basketball titles
- The Blue Valley Northwest boys’ basketball team took home a Class 6A state title for the fifth time in the past decade.
- Blue Valley North’s girls’ team also took home a Class 6A state title, marking the team’s first state title since 2005.
- Blue Valley Northwest’s Grant Stubblefield was also named the Class 6A boys basketball Player of the Year and the All-Classes Player of the Year — a title given to the top basketball player from all classes.
Blue Valley Southwest took home a debate title
- Blue Valley Southwest’s debate teams earned two victories in the Class 5A state championship this year.
- The school earned both the four-speaker and two-speaker debate events.
- District officials called this double-victory a “rare” achievement for the championship.
The district earned multiple forensics titles
- Three Blue Valley forensics students earned titles in this year’s 6A state championship.
- Rishabh Barve of Blue Valley West earned the title in the “Informative Speaking and Oration” category.
- Two Blue Valley High students, Ava Aslinia and Molly James, earned state titles in the “International Extemp” and “United States Extemp” categories, respectively.
The district earned multiple Science Olympiad titles
- Pleasant Ridge Middle’s Science Olympiad team won its fifth consecutive state championship this year.
- Blue Valley North’s Science Olympiad also took home a state title.
- Science Olympiad is a STEM competition where students undergo written tests and demonstrate devices they have built.
Blue Valley High took home DECA and BPA titles
- Blue Valley High’s DECA club — a club focused on marketing, hospitality and finance skills — took home this year’s state championship.
- The school’s Business Professionals of America club, also geared toward fostering professional workplace skills, also took home the gold this year.
- This mark’s Blue Valley High’s BPA club’s third consecutive state title.