Have a nice weekend, Blue Valley!
🌤 Today’s forecast: Mostly sunny, then mostly clear with a 20% chance of thunderstorms. High: 89. Low; 66.
🚨 One thing to know today
Blue Valley West graduate Julia Misemer is one of two Kansas City area natives who have qualified for the 2023 U.S. Women’s Open as amateurs.
This will be the first time Misemer and Notre Dame de Sion alum Megan Propeck appear at the U.S. Women’s Open, which takes place July 6-9 at Pebble Beach Golf Links in California.
Misemer, who will be a sophomore this fall at Arizona, qualified by hitting 8 under par at Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale, Arizona, according to a report by Fox 4 News.
“The 19-year-old’s consecutive 68s this season were the lowest rounds by an Arizona freshman in 20 years,” Fox 4 reported. “She was also a four-time 6A KSHSAA champion along with the 2021 PGA Junior Girls Championship runner up which earned her a spot on the 2021 USA Junior Ryder Cup Team.”
Misemer’s accomplishments on the golf course go back. In 2021, she achieved a rare feat by wining her fourth straight Kansas state golf title.
“It was more than amazing,” Misemer told the Post at the time. “More incredible of a feeling than any of the past four years combined.”
🚧 Latest U.S. 69 short-term closures
During the U.S. 69 toll lane project and interchange improvement work, the Post will provide updates on the latest lane and ramp closures from West 103rd to West 151st streets. Here’s the latest:
- SB U.S. 69 at Indian Creek, April 3 – June 30. Single right lane closure on bridge over Indian Creek for project access to bridge from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- NB and SB U.S. 69, 151st St. to Blue Valley Pkwy., May 22 – June 23. Alternating lane closures for road widening work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily and nightly as follows:
- Mon-Thurs: 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Fri: 8 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- Sat: 6 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- Sun: 5 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- NB U.S. 69 at EB 135th St., June 6 – November 15. Ramp closed (EB 135th St. to NB U.S. 69 entrance ramp) for pavement work.
- NB U.S. 69, College Blvd. to 103rd St., June 12 – 30. Single left lane closed for project site prep work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- SB U.S. 69, 103rd St. to I-435, June 12 – 30. Single left lane closed for project site prep work from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
🗓 Weekend things to do
- Juneteenth celebrations all weekend [More info]
- Father’s Day ideas for the weekend [More info]
- Movie in the Park, Friday at 8 p.m. in Mission [More info]
- Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival all weekend in Overland Park [More info]
- “Meet Me in St. Louis,” opens Friday at Theatre in the Park [More info]
🚀 Post’s top Thursday stories
- Café Europa still wants to move to Leawood, just not where it originally planned
- Moms for Liberty flyers in Johnson County support book bans, decry school performance
- Marco’s Pizza, fast-growing Ohio chain, comes to Overland Park
- Super Smash KC ‘rage room’ in Overland Park lets you vent anger by breaking things
- Blue Valley students rack up long list of state titles — Here’s who won
📰 Other local news
- The University of Kansas Edwards Campus in Overland Park is offering a new online degree program in business operations management. [WIBW]
- A man wanted for crimes that happened in Johnson County was arrested in Topeka after drugs were found in his possession. [WIBW]
- The Olathe-based Friends in Service of Heroes comprises 100 volunteers who gather together to say thanks to those soldiers who have served their country in the past, or are still protecting it today. [Kansas City Star]
📸 A thousand words
Wednesday market days are back for the summer at the Overland Park Farmers Market. Photo via Twitter.