Welcome to a new week, Blue Valley!
🌤 Today’s forecast: Sunny and clear. High: 88. Low: 65.
🚨 One thing to know today
Starting Tuesday, a five-block stretch of Mission Road in Leawood will be closed to make way for road and sewer improvements.
The city of Leawood announced Mission Road will be closed between Glenfield Road and 132nd Street, starting at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
The shutdown is expected to last through Friday at 5 p.m., when the road is anticipated to reopen.
This coincides with another closure of Mission Road impacting northbound traffic from 127th to 135th streets.
The city recommends motorists bypass Mission Road by taking Roe Avenue between 127th and 135th.
Residents who live in the area can access the surrounding neighborhoods via residential streets.
🗓 Public meetings Monday
- Overland Park Public Works committee, 7 p.m. [View agenda]
🚀 Post’s top stories since Friday
- Açaí shop Nautical Bowls opening soon in Overland Park
- A Place at Home now serving older adults in Johnson County
- Local obituaries for June 20-22
- Overland Park voters OK increased sales tax for street maintenance
- New Overland Park hazardous waste facility opening soon
📰 Other local news
- New Johnson County hazardous waste facility now open. Residents can now drop off hazardous household waste at a new county-run facility on Mastin Street off College Boulevard in Overland Park. [JoCoGov.org]
- Former Olathe school board candidate’s case could go to trial. One-time Olathe school board candidate Jennifer Gilmore sued the school board, claiming she was unfairly prevented from speaking at a meeting in 2022. [Kansas City Star]
- Olathe Police investigate deadly shooting. Two people, a 70-year-old woman and 36-year-old man, believed to be family members were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide last week. [Kansas City Star]
📸 A thousand words
The 41st annual Great Lenexa BBQ Battle wasn’t just for cooking and eating. The event at Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park on Friday and Saturday was fun for the whole family, with a ball pit, face-painting and other games for kids.