Hello newly knighted weekend warriors! It’s Friday, July 7 here in Shawnee Mission.
⛈️ Today’s forecast: Chance for scattered thunderstorms, particularly late this afternoon. High: 83. Low: 66.
🚨 One thing to know today
Evergy, the utility that provides power to homes and businesses in Johnson County, has filed an application with the Kansas Corporation Commission to increase its rates starting this December.
In the Kansas City area, the proposed rate increase would be 1.95%, which Evergy says would amount to a monthly increase of $3.47 for the average residential customer.
The utility has put in a separate application to increase rates for its customers in central Kansas, as well — which would be much more significant if approved. Evergy Kansas Central customers would see their rates go up 9.77%, or $14.24 per month for an average residential customer.
Evergy has scheduled three public hearings to give the public the chance to comment on the proposals. They will begin at 6 p.m. on the following dates:
- Tuesday, July 11. Washburn Institute of Technology Main Conference Center, Building A 5724 SW Huntoon St., Topeka
- Thursday, July 13. KU Edwards BEST Conference Center 12600 S. Quivira Rd., Overland Park
- Thursday, July 27 Wichita State University, Low Auditorium Hughes Metropolitan Complex 5014 E 29th St. North, Wichita
🚀 Post’s top Thursday stories
- Finishing touches commence on new Overland Park Arboretum visitor center. See its progress
- JoCo Notes: Six local teens named KC SuperStar’s top 10
- The old Incred-A-Bowl building is getting its first tenant
- This Blue Valley North freshman will start high school as a Tony award winner
- Two JoCo men charged in $2B federal healthcare fraud
📰 Other local news
- Overland Park 7 year old heading to Pokémon World Championships. Avery Vehlewald of Overland Park is heading to Japan in August to compete in the Pokémon World Championships. [WDAF]
- Former St. Thomas Aquinas shortstop hoping to get taken in MLB draft. Nick Goodwin, a graduate of St. Thomas Aquinas and a shortstop on K-State’s baseball team, is hoping to get picked in the early rounds of this weekend’s MLB Draft. [WDAF]
📸 A thousand words
Students in JCCC’s Sustainable Agriculture program didn’t let the hot weather hinder their harvest at Open Petal farm this week. You can find the bounty on offer at this Saturday’s Overland Park Farmers Market. Photo credit JCCC.