TGIF, Blue Valley.
☀️ Today’s forecast: Sunny and slightly warmer. High: 82. Low: 62.
🚨 One thing to know today
Overland Park residents have the chance this weekend to get rid of some junk around their house.
The city is hosting a construction debris drop off event Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Dennis Garrett Public Works facility at 11300 W. 91st St.
Residents can drop off one pickup-load of materials.
Items eligible to be dropped off include decking, fencing, lumber, railroad ties, scrap metal, appliances and tires.
The city will also accept old appliances and barbecue grills.
Items that will not be accepted for this drop off include yard debris, tree limbs, brush, furniture or other bulky items.
You must bring proof of Overland Park residence, and you should be prepared to unload your truck yourself.
🗓 Weekend things to do
- Terra Luna: Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, Thursday-Saturday [Get tickets]
- “Moo-vie Night”: Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead, Saturday, 5-10 p.m. [More info]
- Back Alley Brass Band: Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park, Lenexa, Sunday, 5-6:30 p.m. [More info]
🚀 Post’s top Thursday stories
- South Overland Park nail salon rebrands and reopens
- Overland Park police chief had run-in with Sheila Albers night before resignation, email says
- Next phase of Blue Valley bond projects kicks off — Here’s what’s coming
- Our questions for local candidates on Johnson County’s Nov. 7 ballot
- JoCo Notes: Johnson County included in state West Nile virus alert
📰 Other local news
- Family of 5 escape Overland Park house fire. Fire officials say nobody was injured after a family was able to escape their burning home in north Overland Park Wednesday evening. [KMBC]
- KU, K-State quarterbacks ink new NIL deals. The Jayhawks’ Jalon Daniels and Wildcats’ Will Howard both signed new deals with Kansas companies under the NCAA’s name, image and likeness rules. [Kansas City Business Journal]
- Former BV superintendent joins startup’s advisory board. Former Blue Valley schools superintendent Tom Trigg has been named to the advisory board of K-12 education technology startup SAM Labs. [Technology Today]
📸 A thousand words
These flowers caught the dying afternoon light nicely earlier this week at I-Lan Park in Leawood. Photo credit Lucie Krisman.