It’s Monday, Blue Valley!
☀️ Today’s forecast: Mostly sunny. High: 84. Low: 65.
🚨 One thing to know today
Children playing at the playground at Verhaeghe Park in south Overland Park have a new amenity.
The Johnson County Park & Recreation District added a shade structure to the farm-themed play area at the park, 11401 W 167th St.
The new shade was funded in part by a donation from the Verhaeghe family, which donated more than 40 acres of land for the park itself.
The farm theme of the playground is meant to reflect the Verhaeghe family’s 100-year history of farming and raising their own crops in that area of Johnson County.
The park, one of the newest in the Johnson County Park system, also serves as an access point to the Coffee Creek Streamway Trail, a 3.4-mile paved trail that can be used by walkers and cyclists.
🗓 Public meetings Monday
🚀 Post’s top stories since Friday
- Overland Park plans to start allowing native plants in lawns and gardens
- Blue Valley West educator teaching adults how to be trans allies
- Leawood’s Hawthorne Plaza gaining new J.Crew store
- South Overland Park nail salon rebrands and reopens
- ‘The Weekend’ — Music, culture and festivals in Johnson County
📰 Other local news
- Goodwill to reopen in new location in Olathe. The thrift store has found a new home in a former Tractor Supply store after the city previously denied its application nearer its former location on 135th Street. [Kansas City Star]
- Teens arrested in connection to Gardner armed robbery. Police took the teens into custody and two have been charged in connection to the robbery that occurred earlier this month at a Gardner convenience store. [KMBC]
- Criminal investigation into Overland Park police union ongoing. A year-and-a-half after four Overland Park police officers were put on paid leave, Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe says the investigation into alleged misappropriation of police union funds remains ongoing. [KMBC]
📸 A thousand words
A coyote spotted crossing the parking lot at Leawood Pioneer Library last week. Photo via Instagram.