Hillcrest Thrift intends to move its shop from Lenexa to the former Westlake Ace Hardware near College Boulevard and Quivira Road in Overland Park.
The thrift store is part of a charitable organization that supports homeless families with transitional housing in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
New Overland Park Hillcrest Thrift to open next year
- The new location, which spans roughly 18,500 square feet at 12202 College Blvd., is set to open in spring 2024, a news release says.
- The exact opening date is unclear at this time.
- Before opening, Hillcrest plans to add a drop-off lane on the west side of the store, according to city documents.
Hillcrest will maintain a Lenexa presence for now
- Currently, Hillcrest’s Johnson County thrift store is located in the Quivira Square shopping center at Quivira and 79th Street in Lenexa.
- According to the news release, the organization will keep operating the donation center at the Lenexa location “for the foreseeable future.”
- Hillcrest will relocate the retail side of things to the new Overland Park location in the College Square shopping center.
- Before the move, the Lenexa store will remain open.
Ace Hardware previously occupied the space
- An Ace hardware store had operated out of the space since the late 1980s before closing this past August.
- Store manager Erika Tritz, who managed the hardware store, told the Post previously that Westlake Ace Hardware closed because of an issue with leasing.
- The College Square shopping center is fully leased out, featuring tenants like Hen House, a sports bar, a spa and a U.S. Army recruiting office.
- The Overland Park Planning Commission will hear the preliminary development plan for Hillcrest Thrift during its Monday, Nov. 13, meeting.
- Hillcrest Thrift will also have to submit a final development plan for the city to review at a later date.