Start the weekend early, Blue Valley!
🌥 Today’s forecast: Cloudy early with a chance for rain, then gradually sunnier throughout the day. High: 75. Low: 33.
🚨 One thing to know today
Online retail behemoth Amazon is reportedly exploring the possibility of acquiring Leawood-based movie theater chain AMC.
Citing “multiple senior sources,” Substack newsletter The Intersect first reported that Amazon was considering buying the embattled theater company earlier this week.
The report said Amazon officials see AMC’s more than 600 theaters worldwide as potential “marketing weigh stations” that could be used to promote Amazon Prime movies and also serve as distribution hubs for online goods.
Talk of any potential deal is “fluid,” the report said.
AMC remains the largest theater company in the world but has struggled to pull itself out of the economic downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The company’s stock price has fallen from a peak of $34 last year and has recently traded at around $4, though it saw a surge following the first report of a potential Amazon deal.
Over the past year, AMC has also tried to diversify its revenue streams, as movie theater attendance has remained lower than pre-pandemic norms.
The company recently launched its own branded line of movie theater popcorn and has also opened up its theaters for use as business meeting spaces.
🗓 Weekend things to do
- Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Garden’s first Bird Walk of the spring, 8:30 a.m. on Sat. [More info]
- Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead opens for season, Overland Park [More info]
- New Black Hoof Park disc golf courses opening celebration, Lenexa, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Sat. [More info]
- KC Current’s home opener, Children’s Mercy Park, 11:40 a.m. on Sat. [Get tickets]
- Royals host the Minnesota Twins in a season-opening series at the K, Sat. and Sun. [Get tickets]
- Shawnee April Showers Craft Fair, 9 a.m.-4 p.m on Sat. [More info]
🚀 Post’s top Thursday stories
- Abelardo’s opens in another Mexican restaurant’s former Overland Park space
- Work begins on new 81-home subdivision in south Leawood
- How to watch or stream Royals games in 2023
- JoCo Notes: ‘Voice’ contestant Kate Cosentino returns to Blue Valley to perform
- Leawood commission paves way for new shopping center along 135th Street
📰 Other local news
- Officials from the Blue Valley School District told state lawmakers that district resources are having to be diverted in order to deal with students’ high level of usage of e-cigarettes and other vaping products. [KWCH]
- An Olathe man has pleaded guilty to shooting at Overland Park police officers on Christmas Day 2020. [KSHB]
- A Minnesota-based company has proposed building a nearly 90,000-square-foot data center in Olathe near the Honeywell facility at K-10 and K-7. [Kansas City Business Journal]